Coming back from my working trip, I had this cravings of my 4th aunt’s version of ‘assam fish’. So while driving back home, I called her and ask for the recipe. And she’s more than happy to share;
Steamed rice with a sunny side up, and a dash of soy sauce.
Assam Fish with cucumber.
Her version is easy to make, but it doesn’t compromise the taste, in fact, I love it very much.
All you need is:
1. 2-3 inches of turmeric, a handful (green) cili padi –> all mashed up / blended into paste,
2. 1 tablespoon of rice soaked in hot water, 1 onion, 3 pcs lemon grass, 4-5 pcs of assam keping, 100ml of assam jawa juice, a tablespoon of belachan,
3. ikan kembong – 6pcs (abt 800gm)
4. 1 large cucumber
1. boil about 2 litre of water, and add in the blended paste and let it simmer for about 35 mins.
2. Add in ingredients #2. and let it simmer for another 20 mins.
3. Add in fish and cucumber (can be replaced with ladies finger too) and let it boil for another 15 mins, and salt to taste.