And with some leftover rice in the fridge, and wanting some pedas stuff. I put together my version of nasi goreng kampung.
So the ingredients are for 2pax:
- Ginger 1.5cm + garlic 3 cloves + a pinch of cumin + a pinch of white peppercorns + 4 cili padi + belachan agak-agak portion – all pounded to paste
- White rice – about 3 bowls (leftovers are the best),
- Onion – 1pc, sliced into wedges,
- Eggs – 2pcs,
- Udang kering (dried shrimps) – about 2 tablespoon, soaked then pounded to flossy,
- ikan Bilis (anchovies) – about 3 tablespoonful, deep fried,
- Mui Heong salted fish – 2-3pcs, deep fried ,
- Spring onion – a handful, chopped
Heat about 2 tablespoon of oil and fry the udang kering till crispy then add the paste and wedged onions. Once you get the nice aroma and the onion is starting to get soft, crack in the eggs and stir fry for about 3 minutes. Chunk in the rice, and the Ikan Bilis. Give it a good stir fry over high heat, and add the seasoning of salt a dash of nampla and soy sauce. Give it a few rounds of stirring then add in the chopped Mui Heong salted fish and spring onion.
It’s a pretty busy texture you get from the crispy salted fish and anchovies. And the flavours are from the paste and do adjust the heat level from adding chillies or otherwise. Do improvise with other ingredients.