March 7, 2010

There was a time.

Breaking away from the usual cooking and food post. I met some friends and got reminded one of the best times in my life.

It was about 8-9 years ago. I was between college and university and decided to work a lil to get some money.

So being in my early twenties, I took up this table waiting job, in a cafe right opposite Hock Choon Supermarket and a stone throw away from my aunt house.

So I take orders, send the food, clean the tables, make coffee and all that. And I get to spend time helping the cook to prepare the ingredients for the next meal. So one day, the grumpy-owner had a big fight with the cook and she immediately pack her stuffs and walk off.

So, no cook and guess who step up to fill in. Me.

I still remember the stares and the laughter from my other fellow table-waiting colleagues.

“I can cook mrs. Kwek” I repeat myself.

So the next morning and for the rest of the 8 months, I was the cook until I had to stop working and go back to uni.

That 8 months passes so quickly as I was counting moments of planning the menu for the cafe, making shopping list, and adding twist to the usual menu.

And I remember the compliments from the lunch crowds. It’s an embassy area, where dine-customers are mainly foreigners and they do ask for the chef whenever they tasted something they like.

There was a time, where life is good.

IMG_4269

p/s: nice meeting with you guys,  thenomadgourmand & UnkaLeong.

10 comments:

qwazymonkey said...

Oh wow! what rich history you've got behind you. Never knew u were actually a chef before! Respect! Still waiting for a chance to try your food though

UnkaLeong said...

The pleasure was all ours. Get's in line behind monkey with becks to wait to try your food! :)

Rebecca Saw said...

Haha! great yakking w ya on food & past work experiences ;)

Wil wait for u to be back.. cos Kevin is ready to cook for a pack of 6!
then after that its your turn ;)

JN said...

hoping that one day will have change to taste your cooking.

Chaokar said...

qwazymonkey: eh not CHEF lar, there's a huge difference between chef and a cook la. Sheesh, now i feel pressure to cook leh. You guys seems to have like a super-wow expecations.

unkaleong & becky: stresslar to masak. esp becky so pandai makan.

justin: i will cook u instant noodle.

JN said...

yer~

Ciki said...

thanks for your kind comments on my website! keep up the good blog!

HairyBerry said...

that's a very inspiring story, dude! life is still good la, cos the pictures of your delicious food make your readers really hungry. :)

Chaokar said...

cumi&ciki: haha, thanks for your encouraging comment !

Nic: ack, we should meet someday and talk about food.

jason said...

Now, where's the "Like" button...